The popularity of dental implant procedures is undeniable; it has become one of the most common reasons that patients visit or look into visiting an oral surgeon. But dental implants have also spurred interest from various dental practitioners and corporate dental companies who want to offer dental implants and are not qualified to do so; they don’t have the same level of training as an oral surgeon. That’s why you need to ask very specific questions of your doctor prior to making a decision for your dental implant placement procedure. Please consider asking the 5 key questions below when you are picking a doctor for your dental implant procedure.
- What is the level of your doctor’s training? Many dental practitioners complete a weekend course and start placing dental implants. However, when you choose an oral surgeon, you are choosing an expert who must complete additional training and gain in-hospital experience through their residency program before they gain the licensure to perform dental implant procedures. You want to choose the best expert who will correctly place your dental implants.
- How many implants have you placed? Just remember, experience is key! When you are searching for the right person to place your dental implants, you want someone who has performed a high number of procedures. Most dental practitioners are not specialists, so they typically do not regularly perform dental implant procedures. In contrast, oral surgeons perform this procedure often.
- What is their success rate with implants? You will want to go to a doctor that not only knows the procedure but is almost always successful! A 95 percent success rate will ensure your best chance at a successful procedure.
- How long will the procedure take? Normally, dental implant placement should take no more than half an hour to an hour. You don’t want someone who rushes through the procedure or takes way too long to complete it.
- Why wouldn’t I qualify for dental implants? The only way to know if you are a qualified candidate or not is to schedule a consultation. An experienced oral surgeon will offer you a conclusive consultation, which consists of a thorough examination and a discussion of your medical history.
To get the best surgeon and outcome from treatment, the most important thing to look for is extensive experience and knowledge of dental implants. When you select a trained oral surgeon, you get both of these things! It’s important to have all the information to make the best decision – but keep in mind that dentists and other institutions may claim they can place dental implants and are not completely qualified to do so. If you still have questions, or you are ready to come in and meet our skilled team, please feel free to contact Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Center of Panama City to schedule a consultation.